Re: Choosing default OS in multi boot system

On 30/10/13 10:16 AM, Brian wrote:
On Wed 30 Oct 2013 at 08:55:49 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

The combination of running the Debian Installer with as many
defaults as possible and Grub2 being automatically installed each
time results in two annoying characteristics.

ONE:
On boot, the the last system installed will be the default. That is
the least likely one to run correctly (IF AT ALL) due to bad choices
during install or subsequent tweaking. Resulting Grub rescue mode
... ;/

TWO:
When there are multiple Debian installs present, especially when
same kernel used, the Grub menu is not informative.

QUESTION_ONE:
Can I force the boot to default to the oldest rather than newest
install. It will always be a functioning install and usually is
completely normal with ONLY defaults chosen.

Do not install GRUB for the new install. Run update-grub from whatever
you do boot into.

  I've been dealing with a similar problem . I have 2 partitions with
Linux on them --sda3 with Debian and sda4 with Fedora. When ever Debian
installs a new kernel the dpkg hooks update grub.cfg...however Grub was
installed from my Fedora system and its' grub.cfg needs to be updated.
So I have to boot into Fedora, update grub.cfg, then reboot into Debian.
Real PITA which I have yet to find a solution to.