Re: Problem with halt

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013, Wawrzek Niewodniczanski wrote:
Recently I moved my home desktop from (x)Ubuntu to Debian Wheezy. The
experience is positive, with one exception: shutdown doesn't stop power for
my computer.
I tried to play with settings in /etc/default/halt - both 'poweroff' and
'halt' have the same effect (or rather I should write no effect). At the
end of the shutdown process machine informs that system is powered off or
halted, but nothing happens.

i assume (though i cannot be certain) that you issued shutdown and/or
poweroff as described here:

 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch01.en.html#_how_to_shutdown_the_system

from that page:
If the software power control is available, the shutdown procedure
automatically turns off power of the system. (Otherwise, you may
have to press power button for few seconds after the shutdown
procedure.)

so does holding down the power button after shutdown turn off power?

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013, Wawrzek Niewodniczanski continued:
Any idea what's wrong? I tried to blame BIOS, but don't see any
obvious option in there and it worked with Ubuntu.

i would guess that the difference might be due to ubuntu's kernel
including non-free firmware blobs that debian's kernels do not, as
mentioned here:

 http://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html#Ubuntu
 http://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html#Debian

maybe somebody else can (dis)confirm this as the cause of the
different behavior.

-wes