Re: Dying hard drive?

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:01:07PM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> is rsnapshot doing something different to usual: have you got a lot
> more files in your backup? is it now having to delete old snapshots,
> whereas before it hadn't hit some critical threshold? I found it to
> scale very poorly when I was using it. rdiff-backup is almost a
> drop-in replacement and doesn't suffer the same problem (lots of
> work to adjust large hard link trees)

Nothing important changed. I'm quite happy with rsnapshot. It does take some
time to copy and delete lot of files, but it's expected. Before this issue
with HDDs I haven't had any performance issues. rsnapshot would copy and
delete and load would be low. I'm using RAID10 so that might helped.

I understood that rdiff-backup is much faster, but I was put away from it
because of stalled development. Also, I like how every backup iteration of
rsnapshot looks complete.

Regards,
Veljko