Re: Blacklisting threads

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 20 October 2013 12:33:55 Joel Rees wrote:
>> Was the sysadmin qualifications subthread that turned into a
>> warstory fest that disgusting?
>
> That tedious.  It was/is getting broken all the time, thus getting
> tangled up with everything else.

Mea culpa. I was one of the ones trying to make a better topic label.

>  It is beginning to be a real
> nuisance.

Sorry about that. However, ...

> Lisi

When you get a few warhorses together swapping war stories, you get
some arguments about terminologies and methods and such and it can be
tedious, but you also get a chance to listen to the voice of
experience.

It can be amusing, like the line about C not be created for writing
OSses and the number of participants who acknowledged the idea as
being valid before somebody spoke up. (I didn't speak up on that
because I was under the gun. Well, I still am. Lousy deadlines. Heh.)

But it can also be quite educational, especially if you read between
the lines. Jerry and Miles both have a lot of experience in the big
companies, but you can see that their experience has been nearly
mutually exclusive. And one of the lessons from that is that big
companies are really that big.

But, yeah, I did waste more time than I should have on those threads.
I guess the reason it doesn't bother me is that I've learned that I
don't want life to be optimal, and I want there to be more than two
sides to a story. Not for arguments, but for multi-dimensional
perspectives. (Almost typed multi-dementia. Was that a freudian slip?)

And now I'm plugging up your mail box. Sorry.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.