Re: Blacklisting threads

Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 10:08:08PM +0400, Dmitrii Kashin wrote:
>> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Perhaps it is time that I started using procmail!
>>
>> Good choice, I used to use it. But keep in mind that Procmail is a
>> filtering instrument which is good while you have only one computer. If
>> you buy another one, you will have problems with access to your mail
>> account from different machines at the same time.
>
> I can't think of a situation where you would access your mail account
> from two machines *at the same time*. What am I missing?

You forgot to turn off machine A. Machine A had taken new mails and
deleted messages on server. You turn on machine B. You see no mail. They
left on machine A.

Also (preventing next question) you could not to delete messages from
server. But in this case you will refetch mails by another machine. And
it will be another problem. If you recieve more than 50 emails per day,
how will you check if letter has been read? In case of procmail you
*must* to check all the incoming mails manually.

The only way to solve these problems is to use IMAP protocol. And if you
use it, you can not apply local filtering utilities.