RE: dhcpclient overwrites /etc/resolv.conf

Hi Karl (and others),

>> I thought I had it covered but it seems I was wrong.
>>
>> My uplink uses DHCP to give me my ip-number etc. It also gives me the dns server for the uplink but... I run my own dns servers(s) for our local domain.
>> I want the /etc/resov.conf file to stay as it is and not be overwritten by the dhcp client service.
>> Just doing a chmod -w /etc/resolv.conf is not enough.
>>
>> How can I accomplish this?
>
> Several ways - not necessarily mutually exclusive:
>
> (1) Get your own local domains into the global DNS ?
Nope, I want to keep global and local separate. Out global dns entries are hosted by our ISP dns servers. For this I need to point to our internal dns servers.

> (2) In /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf  add:
>
>    prepend name-servers 1.2.3.4;

This looks the way to go but... The sample shows just one entry, so how do I add multiple entries. Multiple lines, single line space separated values, comma separated values? The man page does not explain either nor does Google help so far :-( Wil I just need to try?
(a little later) Aha, the Debian wiki has a better sample https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#DHCP_Client_Configuration
but... it is missing the trailing semi-colon on the line so it is not perfect either. I will need to test, and then update the wiki I think.

> (3) Install the "resolvconf" package and update /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head - this file is the
> top "fragment" of the (now generated) /etc/resolv.conf file
I might try that if the dhclient.conf does not work

Thanks for the help so far, now just that last little bit. ;-)

Bonno Bloksma