LAN Recognition Problem

I have two computers connected to the LAN, one my desktop running Wheezy
and the other a RaspberryPi running Wheezy-Raspbian.

The RaspberryPi can successfully ping all the devices on the LAN, the
desktop, the printer, the gateway.  It immediately found the desktop's
hostname and sucessfully pings it by hostname.

The desktop cannot successfully ping the RaspberryPi but can
successfully ping the printer and the gateway.

I realize this may be a problem with Wheezy-Raspbian and have posted the
problem to the RaspberryPi troubleshooting forum.  As yet the only
response was to question whether the difficulty might be a firewall on
the desktop. I have not installed a firewall on the desktop.

Since both computers use the Wheezy operating system I am posting this
message on the debian-user mailing list in hopes of getting some clues
as to the source of the problem.

Tom