Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On 10/16/2013 12:27 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 10/16/2013 7:15 AM, Darko Gavrilovic wrote:
On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Jerry Stuckle
<jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:

Which is also why Universities require about 3/4 of the course hours be
outside of your major.

Huh!!?? I think you may be referring to distribution requirements and
you might mean 1/4 of your "course hours". It's a distribution
requirement applies to under graduate studies so that you graduate as
a fully rounded intelligent member of society. :-)

I meant exactly what I said.  When I was in college, my EE major
required 180 hours (quarter system, not semesters).  Of those 180
hours, 45 of them were actual EE classes.  Some others were related
such as math and physics; even programming (Fortran) was required. But
over 1/2 the hours had absolutely nothing to do with EE.

And don't get me started on the Computer Science curriculum (which at
the time required 2 years of a foreign language).

Doesn't say much for your degree, then.

It was (and still is) considered a good university. And that is pretty common for any university in the United States. Have you checked the actual curriculum for MIT, Cal Tech or others?

Jerry