Mouse cursor stays black in Xfce (unstable)

As I've not seen mention of this I thought I'd ask.

I am using the latest Xfce packages in Unstable with Lightdm as the
login manager.  Sometime back I noticed the mouse cursor was black
instead of white from the dmz-cursor-theme package.  No matter how much
fiddling I've not been able to restore the white theme from
dmz-cursor-theme at all times.  Selecting the white theme results in a
white pointer sometimes over some windows or portions of a window and
black over the desktop, window decorations (titlebar, window borders,
etc.) and taskbar.

At the moment the Xfce mouse theme chooser shows four options:

Adwaita
DMZ (Black)
DMZ (White)

There is almost no difference between Adwaita and DMZ (Black) so either
choice seems to fully work.  Going to white is where the inconsistency
begins.  Logging out and back in or restarting the system after
selecting DMZ (White) makes no difference to what I see.

Also, the Xfce Mouse Theme dialog has a spin box for selecting the
cursor size.  This apparently does nothing as the cursor size never
changes.

As there are several layers at work here, which way should I look,
toward Xfce, LightDM, or Xorg?

- Nate