Linux Professional Institute Certification (Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude))

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:41 PM,  <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
> Le 13.10.2013 14:41, Joel Rees a écrit :

>>> It does only means you own the system. Not that you can claim to be a
>>> sysadmin. I own my car. I am not a mechanic, but I anyway have the
>>> *authorizations* to tinker it. It's what root, or to be more precise,
>>> uid=0
>>> means in linux OSes.
>>

>> In some countries, owning a car does not authorize you to tinker with it.
>

> I did not known that. Not even changing a wheel or repairing motor,
> direction? Sounds strange to me.

Japan is not quite that bad, but you can't, for instance, rebuild your
engine here unless you are a mechanic. I'm not sure what the laws say,
but you just can't get the tools.

It's been a little frustrating for me at times.

> Here we have rights to tinker with our stuff, but to be authorized to use it
> on public space you need the vehicle to fit some conditions. Changing a
> motor to have a more powerful one or adding passenger places which were not
> originally thought are good examples. If you do some of those "tinkering",
> then you have to make a check (not yourself, of course, but by an
> organization. I do not know a lot more about that.)
>

>> Many who are the defacto admin for their system(s) do not claim to be
>> a sysadmin. But they are still the only admin the system has.
>

> I have no idea about how it works in other countries, but in France, when
> the enterprise is big enough, sysadmins does not take care of single
> systems. That job is left to people with less qualifications.
>

>> Sysadmin has multiple meanings, and possession of a piece of paper is,
>> frankly, one of the less meaningful meanings I can think of.

Possibly junior grade sysadmins?

> Could not agree more. Sadly French guys seems to love those damned pieces of
> paper. It is quite problematic for self-learners (as I).
> Sometimes I think that if I had better english skills I could try to work in
> other countries.
>

>> (I still
>> plan to take the LPIC level 2 when I have some extra money.)
>>
>> But being able to install and update a debian box is part of what gets
>> tested in the LPIC exams.
>

>> If you can get a debian box up and a Fedora
>> box up, if you can read a shell script and have some idea what's going
>> on, if you can set apache up, if you can fiddle with your X server,
>> that's most of a passing grade on the LPIC level 1, and then you can
>> be a Jr. Sysadmin on paper.
>

> You are right. But only (so, not being able to understand scripts) being
> able to install your debian box, and then to add it some softwares does not
> mean you could be a sysadmin.

Would it help if we decided to use "system administrator" for the role
we take with managing our own boxes and the abbreviation, capitalized:
Sysadmin, for the job title?

Not that everyone would agree to the distinction.

>> (Well, there are a few more things you want to get down, too.
>> Permissions basics, basics of TCP-IP, SSH and such, but you generally
>> pick those up while you're learning how to install the system and
>> packages.)
>

> I wonder if I could pass that test. 1st level does not seems so hard when I
> read you. How many does it costs?

Level 1 is pretty straightforward, maintaining your own box kind of
stuff. Level 2 is where you they start testing the things you point
out in the Sysadmin job role.

I'm pretty sure the LPI site is translated into French, too. Yep. Check it out:

http://www.lpi-francophonie.org/

They have descriptions of the test content, sample tests, and even
some instructional material.

And prices, of course. (For me, tests for level 1 ran about three
days' wages. But I really need a better paying job.)

The English site is here:

http://www.lpi.org/

Fifteen years ago, it was something of a joke, but the certifications
do have some meaning now. I think, if you have passed the level 2
test, a company can be pretty sure they are safe in hiring you for the
entry level (jr. sysadmin) jobs. But many companies will even take the
level 1 cert for entry level, if the applicant is not too old.

One thing it's good for is helping more people learn how to use Linux.

Red Hat certification is a bit more meaningful relative to job titles,
and not much more expensive for the tests. But they do not make it as
accessible. They like to sell training, too. The training programs are
not cheap. It'd cost me a month's wages to take the training for Red
Hat's entry level certification.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.