RE: Set widescreen resolution in console

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 16:14:14 -0400, Antonio Paiva wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 00:25:06 +0400, Dmitrii Kashin wrote:
>>
>> First of all, have you tried to boot your kernel with vga=ask option?
>
> Thank you Dmitrii.
>
> I did try "vga=ask" but that option is no longer supported by the
> debian kernel. On the grub console, I also tried vbeinfo and couldn't
> find the 1024x480 mode. And vbetest only worked with 640x480.

Strictly speaking, "vga" is not a kernel option.  That is, it cannot be
passed on the kernel command line.  It has to be specified by the boot
loader by zapping the kernel boot sector before transferring control to
the kernel.  There has to be special support in the boot loader for the
vga option.  As I said in a previous post, "vga" does not work with the
"linux" and "initrd" statements in grub2.  You have to use "linux16" and
"initrd16" instead.  See my previous post for more information.

I use the lilo boot loader, and the vga option works just fine with it,
even on current jessie kernels.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :