Re: mysteries with latest update

Ross Boylan wrote:
> Setting up lvm2 (2.02.95-8) ...
> [....] Setting up LVM Volume Groups...  Couldn't find device with uuid
> GKasb9-Qo8q-vC83-S0N7-cvUd-nE0J-EEeMgv.
>   Couldn't find device with uuid eDiLHt-Pzom-tjdr-Ky12-Z6Gx-o3Iz-lYh1wL.
> [snip more errors]
>   Refusing activation of partial LV cyrspool. Use --partial to override.
>   Refusing activation of partial LV cyrlib. Use --partial to override.
> failed.
> update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)

You didn't really say but you implied that you had lost a disk or two?

Run this:

  pvs

Or:

  pvdisplay

And if you have lost some of those physical volumes then you should
definitely fix that problem soonest.  I don't know the right fix.
Perhaps vgreduce with perhaps --removemissing.  But I have never been
through that code path before.

> Though the last 2 messages look OK
> ---------------------------------
> Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
> ------------------------------
>
> So, aside from the fact I'm missing disks that are not essential for
> operation, have my initrd's and grub been updated properly?

Looks okay.  But after fixing the lvm config I would definitely
rebuild the initrd.  Either of two different ways.

  # update-initramfs -u

Or:

  # dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64

> 2) Grub Reports Missing Disk
>
> Before any of the above I got a debconf dialog from grub:
>
>  | The GRUB boot loader was previously installed to a disk that is no
> longer present, or whose unique identifier has changed for some reason. It
> is important   │
>  │ to make sure that the installed GRUB core image stays in sync with GRUB
> modules and grub.cfg. Please check again to make sure that GRUB is written
> to the    │
>  │ appropriate boot devices.
> # followed by a list of devices on which to install grub

I think that is because debconf stored that you previously chose disks
that are no longer there.  To fix that reconfigure grub.  (Which you
seem to have already done.)

  # dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc  # or grub-legacy

> This seemed peculiar because one of the disks listed was the one on which
> GRUB was already installed.

But previously you presumably picked other disks that are now missing.

> Anyway, I told it to install there again.
>
> It may be relevant that I am not booting off sda.  sda likely also has grub
> on it, and some of the dead disks did as well.

You see?  This is where you tease us with real information about what
happened on your system.  Dead disks?  Items like that are critical
pieces of information.  Any other critical information we should know about?

> Am I missing something in sources.list?  Before wheezy these point
> releases were basically non-events for me because I had picked up
> the updates as they came out.  Currently I have deb
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free deb
> http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

I think you should also have wheezy-updates.  The old volatile
section.  It contains normal updates such as to tzdata for when DST
changes and other such short schedule updates.

I think you should have this list:

  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free

  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main contrib non-free

  deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

> 4) Unknown Debian release: 7.1
>
> At the very start of the install:
> Extracting templates from packages: 100%
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> supported_versions: WARNING: Unknown Debian release: 7.1
> Why 7.1 would be unknown I don't know.  I presume that is what I was
> running.  One of the updates to base-files included the move to 7.2 as the
> base version but a) I don't think that would have taken effect so early in
> the installation process and b) I don't see why it would make 7.1 unknown.

I have no idea on this one.  I haven't seen that on an upgrade yet.

It feels to me like a message from one specific package. I would be
inclined to grep through the postinst scripts looking to see which
package may have said that.  Maybe you will get a hit on something
like this.

  grep -rl supported_versions: /var/lib/dpkg/info
  grep -rl "Unknown Debian release" /var/lib/dpkg/info

Bob