Re: mysteries with latest update

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 09:54:18PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I just did a big update with the latest wheezy update (using the aptitude
> GUI).  Several things seemed odd; and I'm not sure if everything is OK.
> I'm hoping for some info about what's going on.

I'll try to do my best. I'm sure someone else will jump in if I'm
wrong somewhere.

> I have LVM volume groups that are missing disks, which produce errors
> during some operations (e.g., update-initramfs).  In the past the errors
> haven't prevented updates from working.
>
> I've listed the oddities with the ones most likely to indicate a real
> problem first.
>
> I) "failed" message
> This time the installation messages included "failed" (2nd to last line
> below)
> Setting up lvm2 (2.02.95-8) ...
> [....] Setting up LVM Volume Groups...  Couldn't find device with uuid
> GKasb9-Qo8q-vC83-S0N7-cvUd-nE0J-EEeMgv.
>   Couldn't find device with uuid eDiLHt-Pzom-tjdr-Ky12-Z6Gx-o3Iz-lYh1wL.
> [snip more errors]
>   Refusing activation of partial LV cyrspool. Use --partial to override.
>   Refusing activation of partial LV cyrlib. Use --partial to override.
> failed.
> update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
> --------------

These make sense to me if you have missing disks in some volume
groups. Why you didn't get them before, I don't know. I would suggest
you consider remedying the volume groups missing disks issue. Perhaps
pvremove, or more likely vgreduce?
------------------------------------

> Though the last 2 messages look OK
> ---------------------------------
> Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
> ------------------------------
>
> So, aside from the fact I'm missing disks that are not essential for
> operation, have my initrd's and grub been updated properly?

Looks to me like the answer is yes, though I could be wrong.

> 2) Grub Reports Missing Disk
>
> Before any of the above I got a debconf dialog from grub:
>
>  | The GRUB boot loader was previously installed to a disk that is no
> longer present, or whose unique identifier has changed for some reason. It
> is important   ???
>  ??? to make sure that the installed GRUB core image stays in sync with GRUB
> modules and grub.cfg. Please check again to make sure that GRUB is written
> to the    ???
>  ??? appropriate boot devices.
> # followed by a list of devices on which to install grub
> This seemed peculiar because one of the disks listed was the one on which
> GRUB was already installed.
>
> Anyway, I told it to install there again.
>
> It may be relevant that I am not booting off sda.  sda likely also has grub
> on it, and some of the dead disks did as well.

As long as you reinstalled to whatever you were booting from until
now, you probably won't have booting issues. I could be wrong here too.

> 3) Lots of updates
>
> I got a whole batch of updates, apparently coinciding with the release of
> Debian 7.2.  Am I missing something in sources.list?  Before wheezy these
> point releases were basically non-events for me because I had picked up the
> updates as they came out.  Currently I have
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

That's what I have as well.

> 4) Unknown Debian release: 7.1
>
> At the very start of the install:
> Extracting templates from packages: 100%
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> supported_versions: WARNING: Unknown Debian release: 7.1
> Why 7.1 would be unknown I don't know.  I presume that is what I was
> running.  One of the updates to base-files included the move to 7.2 as the
> base version but a) I don't think that would have taken effect so early in
> the installation process and b) I don't see why it would make 7.1 unknown.

That is weird. If your /etc/debian_version says "7.2" without the
quotes of course, you should be ok.

> Thanks.
> Ross Boylan

You're welcome, and HTH.