Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On Fri 11 Oct 2013 at 22:15:59 +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 10:06:24PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > "are you root?" is the clue. If you are able to  be root , you are a
> > sysadmin.
>
> We fundamentally disagree on that point.

Without the ability to become root you are unable to administer a sytem
and unable take on the role of a sysadmin. I'm stating the obvious, but,
if you have root access - what does that make you?

> > Of course, we all know a sysadmin role can only be filled by a very
> > special person.
>
> If you say so.  I've never figured out if there's a particular facet
> that makes a good one good.

Being able to take responsibility for one's actions would be a good
place to start.