Set widescreen resolution in console

Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired an old Sony Vaio PCG-C1VN (aka, a "PictureBook") and installed Debian wheezy. The problem is that I can only get the *console* to run at 640x480 resolution.

The C1VN has a (very wide) native resolution of 1024x480, but using only 640x480 is a serious waste of screen real estate. It works fine in X but, the for uses I have in mind (playing some music and reading/writing text), all I need works on the console. Moreover, using X slows down the machine enough to have a noticeable drag (not unbearable, not very annoying). (Bear in mind all this has is a Transmeta Crusoe @600MHz ~= Pentium II @400Mhz, and 112MB of RAM.) I'm using kernel modesetting (KMS) with the radeon kernel module (graphics card is an ATI Rage Mobility / Mach64). I tried setting the mode in GRUB via the GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX option, creating my own framebuffer mode, but either made no difference or I ended up with an even smaller resolution?!

If you have any ideas or pointers to potential solutions, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thank you.

Best regards,
Antonio