Re: which MTA to choose for a simple client?

I recommend exim. I've used it for >10 years. It is heavy-weight for
desktops/laptops, but the Debian packaging around it makes such
configuration situations a lot simpler. (The same packaging gets in the
way of running exim on a server, IMHO).

In the past I've tried simple MTAs designed for desktops/laptops like
nullmailer etc. but at the time I found that there were features of exim
that are actually very useful on desktops/laptops: such as local mail
queues and retry on tempfail, for bad network environments etc.

I use exim on servers so I need only know how to drive one MTA in all
situations, know how to parse logs for just one MTA etc.

However, if you choose an MUA that handles some of that itself (reading
other replies it sounds like alpine might handle retry-on-tempfail and
local outbox caching etc.), you may not need those features. Afaik mutt
expects the MTA to do that work in the UNIX tradition.