trouble exporting NFS in wheezy

I have a fresh install of wheezy and am attempting to export some
directories.  It's not working, judging from showmount.  I've tried
various things and searched, but haven't found anything.

I have not touched mounts.allow.  Do I need to?  The only access I have
attempted has been direct from the server machine or from a VM running
inside.

The only unusual thing I can think of is that I am using bridging; the
local subnet is associated with the bridge.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Ross Boylan

Current key files:
----------------/etc/default/nfs-server-------------------
RPCNFSDCOUNT=8
RPCNFSDPRIORITY=0
# I tried --no-nfs-version after failing without it
RPCMOUNTDOPTS="--manage-gids --no-nfs-version 4"
NEED_SVCGSSD=
RPCSVCGSSDOPTS=

--------------------------/etc/default/nfs-common ---------------------
# enabled statd after failing without it
NEED_STATD=yes
NEED_IDMAPD=
NEED_GSSD=

--------------------/etc/exports------------------------------
# switch tho this after failing with /usr/local
/srv/nfs	192.168.40.0/24(rw,sync,subtree_check,no_root_squash)

Result
root@tempserver:~# mount --bind /usr/local /srv/nfs/local
root@tempserver:~# /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
Stopping NFS kernel daemon: mountd nfsd.
Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsd mountd.
root@tempserver:~# showmount 192.168.40.102  #my machine
Hosts on 192.168.40.102: