Re: fglrx-driver missing on jessie

On 2013-10-05 18:49 +0200, Enrico Polesel wrote:

> I've just install debian jessie on a notebook and I'm not able to
> install fglrx-driver (there are only the legacy version)
>
> According to packages.debian.org[1] that packages is not longer
> available on jessie and I don't want to download it from stable
> because it'd break xorg and gnome.
>
>  [1] http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=fglrx-driver
>
> Why has it been removed from testing repositories?

Because it is not compatible with X server 1.14 which is supposed to
migrate to testing soon.

> Is it going to be reinserted in a short time?

Probably not, AMD is notorious for not supporting current X servers with
their proprietary driver.

> Meanwhile is it safe to install it from snapshot?

You could try it, but I don't know.

> For those are going to tell me that I can use radeon (as I'm doing
> now): I want the fglrx because free driver is overheating my gpu.

Starting with Linux 3.11, there is dynamic power management in the
radeon driver, disabled by default.  Boot with radeon.dpm=1 to turn it
on[1].

Cheers,
       Sven

1. http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.11#head-61f0d4595b25d0f19a5dc7574d07e9107521b397