Re: network/bridging problems

On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 09:44:31AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Greg, thanks for explaining this.  I'm still puzzled about one point, below.
>

> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Gregory Nowak <greg@gregn.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 12:40:26PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > > Can anyone explain to me what difference between tap and the bridge is?
> > > They both seem to do the same thing*, but apparently tap needs to be
> > hooked
> > > in to a bridge.  And for some reason the qemu/kvm docs seems to recommend
> > > tap.
> >
> > Ok, let me try to explain. If I'm wrong here, then someone who knows
> > better please jump in and correct me. Let's use a physical analogy. A
> > tap device is a virtual network device VS. a physical eth device which
> > is a card/chip in your computer. They both pass ethernet traffic, but
> > ethx is physical, and tapx is virtual.
> >
> > Now, sticking to physical analogies, pretend you have standard
> > ethernet cables, and an ethernet switch. Your ethx, and tapx devices
> > are ethernet cables. Your brx device is the network switch. When you
> > bridge ethernet interfaces like eth0 and tap0 into a single bridge
> > device like br0, you're doing the equivalent of plugging your ethernet
> > cables into an ethernet switch. When you do that, your bridge becomes
> > a single network device. Traffic from any of the eth/tap interfaces
> > bridged together is seen by all other eth/tap interfaces on that
> > bridge. So, maybe I should have compared the bridge to a network hub,
> > instead of a switch.
> >
> > Ok, here's where my analogy breaks down. When you bridge an ethx
> > interface, you don't use that interface anymore. So, if you bridge
> > your eth0 interface into an br0 bridge a line like iface eth0 in your
> > /etc/network/interfaces line becomes iface br0 instead.
> >

> I think this means eth2 will not have an IP address, but br0 will.

Correct.

> But how do packets reach the host machine?  By analogy with hub, packets
> enter and go to all machines, which pick out the IP address meant for
> them.  But if the IP address is that of the hub, how does the host machine
> know the packets are for it.
>
> I guess this is why you say the analogy breaks down.  And I guess the
> bridge IP serves as the IP address of the host machine, whether it is being
> contacted by the guest or other physical machines on the network.

Correct again.

> > You have a line that says bridge_ports all tap0 in your interfaces
> > file, and that worries me. If I understand correctly, that line
> > combines all ethx interfaces on your system into a single bridge,
> >
> that's my understanding
>
> > which likely isn't what you want. You also seem to have eth0 through
> > eth2 on your system.
>
> At the moment there's only one cable going into the machine at eth2.  But
> that won't always be the case,
> so I think I should change it as you suggest.

If you have only one of your ethx cards connected, then it won't
matter. You will probably want to change things though if you connect
cables to eth0/eth1.

> > Do you really want the virtual machine to be able
> > to communicate over all three interfaces?
>
> I might want to attach to the LAN and WAN in the future; I guess I should
> create 2 bridges in that case.

That's what I would do myself, since I want to keep my LAN and WAN
separated from each other.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net