Re (2): Multiplicity of accounts.

From:	Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com>
Date:	Wed, 2 Oct 2013 15:30:26 +0900
> On MSWindows XP, ... surfing the net as the primary admin user
>  ... was the primary path of ingress and the primary cause of the
> proliferation of 'bot nets.

A flaw in Windows to contrast with Debian?

> And accessing your bank logged in as the same user that you use to
> surf random sites is one of the primary causes of leaked bank account
> numbers and passwords.

The banking information is stored in a cookie.  Subsequently a site other
than the bank is allowed to read the cookie?  A failure of the browser.
Correct?  Prior to studying this thoroughly, I might stick to personal banking.

> What does Puppy have to do with anything?

Merely an example contrasting a multi-user installation.  It's the best
example I could conjure.

> And what does using permissions improperly to allow several people to
> edit a document have to do with anything?

Certainly permissions should be used correctly.

There can be more than one solution to a problem.  To learn more about
a wiki server and how it can support cooperative editing of a document
and whether it can run on a single user system, I'll have to study further.

> I'm sorry to be rude, but I'm in a bad mood today.

No obligation.  Your first response was helpful already.  Hundreds of other
bright people read this an can contribute.

> I'm not going to
> try to carefully explain to you why you don't want your son or your
> best friend to log in as root ...

That is exactly what might happen with Puppy Linux.  But not every
computer is time shared.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_sharing
Physical security of a personal machine can exclude everyone but the
owner and personal ownership of computers is commonplace.  Cell
phones alone must outnumber desktop machines by a factor of 1000 or more.

> ... you don't want all your users having full access to every document
> on your system.

The fixed disk drive is no longer the only working storage.  Data can be
on a flash store which is removed when the user leaves the machine.

Our discussion emphasizes that I also need to convince myself that
browser data is not left in /tmp or in ~/.config at logout.  ~/.bash_logout
might be my last resort to remove data left by sloppy software and I need to
study further.  Seems the topic should be in http://wiki.debian.org/.

Regards,             ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +13606390202  Bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca  http://carnot.yi.org/