Re: should an end user stick to a kernel with an initrd?

On 09/28/2013 09:27 PM, Regid Ichira wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:29:35 +0900 Joel Rees wrote:

/snip/

>> Old information. All disks pretend to be SCSI now.

/snip/

>   I am not familiar with the ATA protocol.  Are you saying that the
> kernel has no way to know the time on which each disk spined up?
> Doesn't the disk returns a SPINED_UP_AND_WAITING response, together
> with its unique address?
>   With scsi, the disk address is determined by its physical
> connection to the scsi cable.  On the scsi cable, there is always a
> connector that is most closest to the scsi controller.  And a
> connector that is next to the closest one, and so on.

I may be missing something, but I think there's a problem here.
Even tho Linux treats the drives _as if_ they were SCSI, the
_controller_ is SATA, _not_ SCSI, and so it is not required to
know which disk is closest to the connector, etc. So unless
The SATA controller and connector has that SCSI capability, the
above argument does not hold water.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley