Strange Package Behavior

I went to install fglrx-legacy and all related packages. The install
seemed to work just fine.  When I rebooted, X failed.  Looking through
the Xorg log I found that the /etc/ati directory was empty.  Now I find
that the apt database shows that the /etc/ati files are all there
without having the package installed.  Not sure how this happen.  I've
tries a variety of apt-get commands to clean up the database to no
avail. Needless to say, if I try to install the package, it has a broken
status.

I know, I can just stick to the radeon driver, which seems to work just
fine for my needs, and I may deserve some bad juju karma for installing
a proprietary driver, but I've never had anything like this happen in
many, many years of using Debian.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Glen