Re: should an end user stick to a kernel with an initrd?

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 23:17:40 -0400 (EDT), Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-09-27 at 19:41 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> But the correspondence between these Linux device names and the
>> hardware device numbers varies widely from boot to boot.  I can assure
>> you of that from personal experience.
>
> So my question, if somebody experienced it already is answered.

The s390x hardware platform is more susceptible to device name variations
because of the extra "online/offline" layer.  The kernel does not assign a major
or minor device number to a DASD, nor does it assign it a user-space device
name (/dev/dasda, /dev/dasdb, etc.) until the device is brought "online".
Under Debian, a DASD device is brought online by the sysconfig-hardware
package, which in turn is invoked by udev.  IDE and SCSI drives on the i386
or amd64 hardware platform do not have this extra layer of processing.
But device name changes can happen on i386 and amd64 too.  It's just less
likely.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :