Re: Can't create folder on empty partition - suspect permission issue

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> I have a machine set aside for learning by experimentation.
> It will have at least Squeeze *and* Wheezy installed.
> I have created a multi-GB partition that I wish accessible to both.
> I have done install from
> [Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.5 "Squeeze" - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
> 20120512-13:45]
>
> I successfully mounted "mydatapartition" by clicking on it under the
> "Places" dropdown menu and responding with the root password.
>
> That placed its icon on my desktop as expected. Clicking on it opened a file
> browser. Clicking in the empty area displayed a menu including "Create
> Folder". T'was greyed out :{ As I had no problem creating a folder on the
> "Desktop" I concluded "permission issue".

Yeah ...

> Google was unsatisfactory, links discussed "why &/or what" not "how".
> I suspect that if I followed links from https://wiki.debian.org/Permissions
> I could figure out how to do it from command-line.

It's a good exercise in refreshing your understanding of the underlying issues.

For my taste, when I make such a partition, I make a user and group to
own the partition, and set that user/group to nologin. Then I can set
the group permissions on the folder to R/W and make all the users that
write to it members of the group.

I find it helps. actually, to make subfolders of said folder for each
user that will write to that folder, and then the top shared folder
can be set to read-only for the group.

> *BUT* I'm looking for the
> GUI solution.

Right-click and "Properties" didn't get you a tabbed dialog with a
"Permissions" tab? You may need a few (tens of) seconds for the
response to the right-click, depending on your system resources in
use.

Oh, and you may find you want to set your sudoers up. Many of the gui
tools are going through sudo instead of su now, to avoid overuse of
the root password.

> Sub-question: When operating in a terminal, one may issue a "su command" and
> then proceed with full root privileges/responsibilities. What is GUI
> equivalent?

That's one of the many badder ideas that Microsoft has patented. We'll
be free of GUI widgets that try to do that for another seven or eight
years, if I remember right.

In the meantime, synaptic and others essentially go through su or sudo
and pop up a dialog asking for your root or admin password. And I
avoid those dialogs by running the tools sudo from the command line in
my admin account and avoiding using them in my working account.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.