pcmanfm no window/gui, one user only

Friends,

For some reason, when I try to use pcmanfm as my user, I can not.
I can start it as other users on the system, or with gksu or sudo,
but not for my user.

Or, really, what happens is, it seems to start (can find processes and kill them),
but no window appears. It seems to hang.

I tried to use gdb, but get no debug information.
What happens there is the whole thing (gdb and pcmanfm) hangs,
doing nothing, until I kill pcmanfm again, and gdb tells me nothing.

When I run it from terminal, likewise, I find no errors, nothing.
Just hangs (even if I run the command with pcmanfm &, it just hangs the
terminal).
For all other users on the machine, it runs fine.
I'm at a loss for what else to do to diagnose the problem,
and, of course, at this juncture, I have no useful information for why
it is not running properly.

Yes, also, of course, I have killalled any such processes several times
before trying to start it again.
I've also tried with other WMs (I use openbox as a standalone, but have
also now tried with LXDE and with wmii, and still no joy. Have no other
WMs on the system at this time).
This is on wheezy.

I've even tried replacing my conf files in
~/.config/pcmanfm/{default,LXDE}/pcmanfm.conf
with the files from another user (and chowning them to me, of course),
to determine if there were something amiss in my config files,
but, alas, this too proved unproductive.
I don't know what else to do.

thanks,
Tony
--