Re: Long delays caused by rpcinfo

I missed asking the obvious question.  Does the NFS server work?  Are
you able to NFS mount it onto clients?  Because this is the difference
between some runtime functionality problem and a boot time
functionality problem.

David Parker wrote:
> root@test-vm-1:~# cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1    localhost    localhost

That isn't wrong but it is unusual.  The format for that file is:

  IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...]

And so by listing localhost twice in an identical string it is setting
it to both be the canonical name and an alias to it.  But since the
string is identical it isn't needed to be an alias.  Therefore that
second localhost field should be removed.  It should read:

  127.0.0.1    localhost

Of course that isn't really either a problem or related to your
current issue.  But like any broken window it should be fixed.

> 192.168.25.200  testbed.utica.edu       testbed
> 192.168.25.201  test-vm-1.utica.edu     test-vm-1
> 192.168.25.202  test-vm-2.utica.edu     test-vm-2
> 192.168.25.203  test-vm-3.utica.edu     test-vm-3
> 192.168.25.204  test-vm-4.utica.edu     test-vm-4

One of those is the IP address of the NFS server itself?

How are you configuring the network?  In /etc/network/interfaces I
assume that for the NFS server you are setting up a static IP
address.  Or at least I think you should if you are not.

Example:

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.25.200
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.25.1

Use "auto" here rather than "allow-hotplug".  Specifically I think
that may have some bearing on your problem.  With "allow-hotplug" the
system runs in the newer event driven mode capable of using hotplug
devices.  That should work and if it doesn't it would be good to track
down why and fix it.  The "auto" setting runs by the boot time init.d
scripts.  Here is a documentation pointer.

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_basic_syntax_of_etc_network_interfaces

I know that NIS has some issues with the event driven route but works
perfectly with the boot time route.  Perhaps this is related to your
problem too.  Try "auto" and see if that makes a difference.

Bob