Re: Daily downloads with apt / aptitude?

On 15/09/13 08:58, thunderstar@loop.de wrote:
Hi all,
I think, I missed a change some time, for I noticed, that when I let my
notebook run over night, it shows that all new packages are already downloaded
(but not installed).

As I cannot remember to have activated cron-apt (although it is installed), I
guess it has something to do with /etc/cron.daily/apt or
/etc/cron.daily/aptitude.

However, this feature is nice, but when was this change implemented. I could
not remember, heard abouit it, yet.

Have you looked in the apt and aptitude changelogs?

Related to this thing another question: Is there already a debian way, to
force those new downloaded packages to install, when the system is being
shutdown by the user? (Similar like windows does).

Yuck! That's one of the things I hate about windows. (don't run it myself, but wife does). If we're going away for a while and want to take our laptops with us, I can shut down Debian in a few seconds, but sometimes her Windows will take up to an hour with updates, making us late for our bus/train/plane/spaceship :(

I normally run updates when I start up in the morning, but can skip it if I am in a hurry.

--
Dom