Re: problem installing win 7 on debian machine

On Sep 15, 2013 12:36 AM, "Johan Thallauer" <lunaradruid1@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi im trying to install windows 7 from my usb drive on a mchine that already has debian only installed on it and I keep getting "
> invalid partition table" so is there something that I have to do in debian to fix this?
> (I love it when copy-paste also copies thte dont styles, so stupid....)
>
> see my question here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/installing-win-7-invalid-partition-table/f55a3ef7-2db4-42cf-aa32-bd2ca316037c?tm=1379103513024
>
> thanks for reading!

Hello Johan,

First, you need to know that if you install Windows (any version) from a dvd on a computer that already has Linux installed, the Windows installer will overwrite the bootsector, and you will omly be able to boot Windows from there on.

The error you get is probably because your partitions are already Linux's partitions which Windows is unable to read.
You will have to boot Debian, and make some backups of stuff you may need. Then install a partition editing tool. I would recommend GParted. With GParted you will be able to resize one of the existing partitions which will host Windows. Resize them so that you end up with a minimum of 50 GB free space.
After having done that, you should be able to install Windows.
Once you've succeeded with the install when you will want to boot Debian, you will need the Linux install disc (or almost any Linux install or boot disc, chroot to your initial debian installation, and do a grub-install on your current boot partition).

That should be about it, I think. If it sounds like much, you may want to read a bit for these thigs. It's not hard.

Good luck!