Re: xfce workspace switcher question

On 8/30/13, François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:
> Le 30/08/2013 14:15, Zenaan Harkness a écrit :
>> On 8/30/13, François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:
>>> I configured the workspace switcher (is it the right name?) to have 8
>>> workspaces on 2 rows.
>>> I use Ctrl-Alt-left/right-arrows (and up/down) to switch from one
>>> workspace to another.
>>> When I reach the 4th workspace, if I press Ctrl-Alt-right, I come back
>>> to 1st workspace, same behaviour from 1st to 4th if I press
>>> Ctrl-Alt-left or I switch from 1st row to 2nd row pressing Ctrl-Alt-up.
>>> How can I stop this, ie. when I am on the last workspace I don't want to
>>> go to the 1st one... etc.
>>
>> Start -> Settings -> Window Manager Tweaks
>> -> Workspaces -> Wrap workspaces when ...
>>
>> /usr/bin/xfwm4-tweaks-settings
>
> Ah! thanks, I feel better!

There are a few things here and there that, when we get habitualized
to them, it is always a niggle while they no longer work that way. I
had to find the same thing about 6 months ago :)

> In French, we have to untick something entitled "Change workspace
> according to desktop settings"... Which is absolutly not explicit!

Sounds like XFCE french translations need some work.

My first thought is, the concept "enable workspace wraparound" is
generic, and the french translation is generic, so there ought be a
cross-desktop (eg gnome, kde, xfce, lxde, etc) translation database
... that would require someone to make that happen. If it's not done
in about 12 years, I may have time to start that project myself. Even
though I only speak English, I think it is a worthwhile project. I've
thought about these things in the past too... there could be benefits
to more cross-desktop cooperation.

> Also: Why the configuration of one thing is scattered accross 3 tools?
> To configure the workspaces you have: xfwm4-tweak-settings, the panel
> seeting and the workspaces settings...

Yes, there is much to do. In a few years, I plan to choose and join a
desktop project as a developer. Not possible for me for a while yet.

Good luck
Zenaan