Re: Permissions

On 08/27/2013 03:31 PM, Steven Post wrote:
On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 13:43 -0400, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
Dear List -

I apologize for this "needle in a haystack"  but...

This was originally posted on the PHP list, but has changed into a
Debian question...

Tried to run the program, that we have been discussing,{on the PHP list}
and received a 403 error.

rosenberg:/var/www# ls -la StoreInventory.php
-rwxrwxrw- 1 ethan ethan 4188 Aug 26 20:26 StoreInventory.php

rosenberg:/var# ls -ld www
drwxrwxrw- 37 ethan ethan 20480 Aug 26 20:26 www

I had set the S bit [probably a nasty mistake] and I thought I was able
to remove the bit. [it doesn't show above]

I made the following stupid mistakes...
note commands from the root prompt have a su appended

    467  chown -R ethan:www-data www 	su
    469  chown -R ethan:www-data www 	su
    470  chmod -R g+s www 	su
    471  chgrp -R  www 		su
    477  chgrp -R ethan www 	su
    480  chmod -R 766 www 	su
    482  chmod g-S www 	su
    485  chmod -S www 		su
    486  chmod g S www 	su
    487  chmod gS www 		su
    488  chmod S www 		su
    489  chmod 776 www 	su
    492  chmod 776 -R www 	su
    494  chmod -s -R www 	su
    504  chmod 666 StoreInventory.php
    512  chmod 3775 StoreInventory.php

I now have....

ethan@rosenberg:/var/www$ ls -la StoreInventory.php
-rwxrwsr-t 1 ethan ethan 4232 Aug 27 00:18 StoreInventory.php

ethan@rosenberg:/var$ ls -ld www
drwxrwxrw- 37 ethan ethan 20480 Aug 26 20:26 www

and still have the 403 error.

How do I extricate myself from the hole into which I have planted myself?

The problem appears to be that Apache does not have access to the file.
Looking at the permissions of the file it should work, however, apache
is not able to go into your /var/www folder. Either you need to set
www-data as the owner of the directory, or as the group owner, or,
possibility number 3, give execute rights to 'others' on that folder.

Pick one (you might need to be root for the first 2 in your situation):
1) chown www-data /var/www
2) chgrp www-data /var/www
3) chmod -R o+X /var/www

Note the capital 'X' on option 3, this gives execute permissions on
folders only, not files, as the -R means all files and subdirectories as
well.

The 't' is known as the sticky bit if I recall correctly, set with 1 on
the first number in a 4 number chmod command, for details see [1].
I guess in your case you can use 0664 for the files and 0775 for
directories (or 0640 and 0750 if you set owner or group back to
www-data)

Best regards,
Steven

you wrote about a 403 error, so I assume you invoke the script by
calling a webserver via browser.
In that case the webserver needs the permission to access /var/www and
to read StoreInventory.php.

By default the webserver runs as user/group www-data (it can be changed
in the webservers config-file(s)).

Try this:

#chown -R ethan:www-data /var/www
#chmod 775 /var/www
#chmod 640 /var/www/StoreInventory.php

Your ls should return something like this:

$ls -hal /var/www
drwxr-x--- 1 ethan www-data 4.0K Jun 3 20:35 .
-rw-r----- 1 ethan www-data 623 Jun 3 20:35 StoreInventory.php

If that does not work you might check the configuration- and log-files
of your webserver.

Dear List -

I had to go to a meeting but before I left I tried one last thing -

 chmod 000 www
 chmod 0777 www
rosenberg:/var# ls -ld www
drwxrwxrwx 37 ethan ethan 20480 Aug 27 17:30 www

 chown ethan StoreInventory.php
 chgrp ethan StoreInventory.php
 chmod 000 StoreInventory.php
 chmod 777 StoreInventory.php
ethan@rosenberg:/var/www$ ls -la StoreInventory.php
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ethan ethan 4232 Aug 27 17:25 StoreInventory.php

when I returned...

IT WORKS!!!

Thanks to all.

Ethan