Re: How to create an m3u playlist containing mp3 and m4a files?

Dear Sharon,

Sharon Kimble wrote:
> how can I create a .m3u playlist file with .mp3 and .m4a files in it
> please?
>
> I tried this but the end-result is non-playable 'ls -w 1 *.m4a *.mp3>
> ~/.mpd/playlists/beeb-radio.m3u' .
>
> It lists all the files with the correct extensions but when I try to
> load it in MPD, it says that the song is non-playable.

This is only a guess:

ls -w 1 *.m4a *.mp3

will only print the actual filename, not the full path to the file.
However, MPD playlists have the following format:

$ cat /var/lib/mpd2/playlists/Dvorak\:\ 8.\ Symphonie.m3u
antonín_dvořák/dvorak__sym8__1__allegro_con_brio.ogg
antonín_dvořák/dvorak__sym8__2__adagio.ogg
antonín_dvořák/dvorak__sym8__3__allegretto_grazioso.ogg
antonín_dvořák/dvorak__sym8__4__allegro_ma_non_troppo.ogg

where the folder antonín_dvořák exists in the music root directory of
MPD:

$ grep ^music_directory /etc/mpd2.conf
music_directory		"/datapub/media/audio"
$ ls -d /datapub/media/audio/antonín_dvořák/
/datapub/media/audio/antonín_dvořák//

So depending on the music root configured for your instance of MPD,
you will need to adapt the filepaths accordingly.

(Ignore the "2" in "mpd2", I have two instances configured on my
computer. It should be just "mpd" for you :))

Best,

Claudius
--
Please don’t CC me.