Re: Problems with nVidia proprietary driver

On Monday 26 August 2013 14:07:29 you wrote:
> I read the postings fairly recently on this list, then Googled and
> found:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#configure
>
> I decided to follow that.  I also followed the trouble-shooting
> recommended.
>
> I have checked and as a result of what I did, the following package
> is definitely installed.  (It is recommended.)
> http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/nvidia-kernel-common
>
> At present I have been offered a CLI login and have logged in as
> root.
>
> I was able to:
>
> cat /var/log//Xorg.0.log
>
> but I could not pipe to less (or more!) because I couldn't find the
> pipe. Googling seemed to suggest that the American pipe was on a key
> in a position that does not exist on my keyboards, which wasn't very
> helpful.
>
> Here is my best attempt at copying across onto a working X on another
> computer:
>
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
>   compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
>   Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module
> [snip] can't quite make it out accurately enough to copy.  Short
> message saying to look at the system's kernel log if you want to see
> more messages. (EE) NVIDIA (tangled up with above)
> (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) Unloading nvidia
> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia"(module-specific error, 0)
> (EE) No drivers available.
> Fatal server error:
>          no screens found
>
> I have downloaded the correct driver for my husband's card (GTX 650
> TI) on this box (mine) and was thinking of putting it on a USB key
> with a view to copying it onto the other box (my husband's) and
> trying to install it.  But I would presumably need to unistall
> whatever is there now first.
>
> Trying to get a 4.0.2 , presumably a kernel 4.0.2, strikes me as a
> non-starter.  Even backports are only up to
> linux-image-3.10-0.bpo.2-amd64
>
> Reinstalling is a possibility, but it would be nice to get this
> sorted out. Unfortunately, I am under time pressure, so I may just
> have to cave in and make do with a fresh install and nouveau.  I had
> upgraded successfully. Pity I had to play around and spoil it. :-(
> But I was keen to get him the better graphics of which his box is
> capable.  Nouveau really wasn't very good. :-(
>
> Ideas and suggestions please!  I don't want to reinstall and put up
> with nouveau if I can avoid it. :-(
>
> Thank you,
> Lisi

The proprietary Nvidia installer does a good job of configuring
everything here, just works. It will write a new .xorg file and backup
the old file, if present.

 Caveats, no Debian Nvidia stuff installed, blacklist the nouveau
driver, which Nvidia installer offers to do,  that is not a reference
to a Linux kernel version.

--
Peace,

Greg