Function Keys 1 to 6 Missing in Wheezy Install

Many problems with Netinstall of Wheezy on Aug 24 from cd downloaded Aug 24

Using the function keys F1 through F6 results in a blank screen then
after a delay No Signal.

F7 returns to a working screen of limited capabilities - on startup this
screen opened with a message regarding a gdm failure.  Nonetheless the
normal gnome options appeared.  When I opened a root terminal window it
appears split in half - the first half on the right, the second half on
the left with a black space in between.  The mouse pointer seems to be
stuck in the black space but with repeat tries moves into the split
window halves and then commands can be typed.

I know there have been posts of wheezy installation problems, I'm sure I
saw one regarding function key problems but I checked the archives for
July and August without finding posts regarding these problems.

Until now I have paid no attention to the posts as I switched from
squeeze to wheezy long before wheezy became stable and have never had
any problem with it, still don't on my main computer.  The above
problems occured trying to set up a new computer to drive a 3D printer.

I must admit I have had problems with the new computer - wont start, had
to reset cmos so the problem may be hardware, not wheezy.

Any suggestions?