Re: dhcpdump not seeing dhclient messages

-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------8<-------------

> The odd thing is if I do the exact same thing with this machine connected to
> a local TP-LINK router instead of my ISP cable modem, dhcpdump sees the
> DHCPDISCOVER, and the machine acquires a DHCP lease.

Is your cable modem setup in bridge mode?   (bridge between it's
ethernet (RJ45) and the 'wan' ports with cable coming in from ISP.

> Any ideas why would dhclient be sending a DHCPDISCOVER, but dhcpdump not see it?

Try tcpdump with  dest port 67

HTH
--
Arun Khan
Sent from my non-iphone/non-android device