Re: sda sdb sdc confusion

Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Daniel Bareiro a écrit :
> > You could identify the drive serial number as follows:
> > # smartctl -i /dev/sdb
> > # hdparm -i /dev/sdb
>
> Problem is that these commandes query the disk and may fail if the disk
> has failed.
>
> # hdparm -i /dev/sdX
>
> gets the same information from the kernel instead.

I see no difference in "hdparm -i /dev/sdb" versus "hdparm -i /dev/sdX".
What did you mean to say there?

I believe that smartctl and hdparm are basically independent programs
that dump the same information in different ways.  I think it is six
of one and a half dozen of the other.

But the other two good disks out of the set of three will be okay.
Dump the model and serial of the two good disks.  Then when you go to
pull the disk drive out you can identify the two good disks.  Leave
them.  The remaining third disk not in the list of good disks must be
the failed one. :-)

Bob