Re: Maximum number of clients reache .. can't open display

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 05:42:18PM +0100, Christian Jaeger wrote:
[...]
> After running my laptop for a bit over 2 months, I've started getting, for
> example when running urxvt from another terminal:
>
> Maximum number of clients reachedurxvt: can't open display :0.0, aborting.

[...]
> xlsclients|wc -l
>
> tops out at 158,

hmmm... That is interesting indeed. Apparently debian is patched[1] to
allow 512 clients. But I don't think xlsclients is really a good
indicator of actual X resource usage.

> ls /proc/`pidof Xorg`/fd|wc -l
>
> at 256. This being such a round number seems to strongly suggest that it's
> tied to the number of fds. But why so low? xorg.conf does not mention any
> limit.

I imagine based on this:

> # cat /proc/`pidof Xorg`/limits
> Limit                     Soft Limit           Hard Limit           Units
[...]
> Max open files            1024                 4096                 files

that the 256 value is just a coincidence.

I've found a variety of references that suggest that perhaps a client
is misbehaving and not releasing resources it's not using anymore[2].

What is the output of

xwininfo -root -children

that should be a better measure of resource usage. On my machine it
reports significantly more children than xlsclients reports as the
number of clients.

Also there is

xrestop, a top-like program that shows X clients and, at least on my
machine, reports a few more clients than xlsclients.

ISTM your best bet is to iterate through all the open clients you can
identify, close each one, and perform a test to see how many clients you can
subsequently open. One of your running X processes is mis-behaving and holding
on to more than it should. Here[3] is an example of the kind of thing
that can go wrong...

Or you've got a whole lotta windows open ;)

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-x@lists.debian.org/msg83944.html

[2]  http://askubuntu.com/questions/4499/how-can-i-diagnose-debug-maximum-number-of-clients-reached-x-errors

[3]  http://slackblogs.blogspot.com/2011/02/x11-maximum-number-of-clients-reached.html