Re: No sound on Debian SID ufter upgrade

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 17:36:35 +0200
Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid) and sofar I have alsa
> installed and the sound worked.
>
> Since couple of days after an upgrade of the system with
> 'sudo aptitude update'
> 'sudo aptitude safe-upgrade'
>
> today sound doesn't work anymore.
>
> What could be the problem, and how can I solve it?

Find the PulseAudio Volume Control (probably in the Multimedia menu) and
mess about with it a bit, (sorry, 'readjust the configuration') with
particular reference to Profile under Configuration. Even if you've
never used PulseAudio in your life, it is probably the thing responsible
for this difficulty. It seemed to think I wanted HDMI sound output,
even though my computer doesn't have an HDMI socket.

As Ralf says, you do need to expect this kind of thing with sid (e.g.
LXDE broken and uninstallable for the last couple of weeks), and sound
on Linux is, to say the least, capricious at the best of times.

--
Joe