Re: Missing Makefile

On 8/23/2013 11:50 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
_Unfortunately_ in real live, when we need to earn an honest penny,
Linux is 99,99999999999999999999% of all user cases completely unusable
excepted of servers. The people who now will mention that this isn't
true, claim that they made a living with using Linux only, are likely
people with a research assignment and/or teaching assignment or their
job is to be daughter or son, born in a rich family ;).

With respect, I must disagree with this. Although I'm still fairly new to Linux (actually been playing with it for a couple of years, but only as a side), I find it much more usable for many things than other things out there. It's much more configurable and doesn't have to carry the weight of a huge graphic system if you don't need that, for instance. I thought it would be a much better replacement for OS/2 on this system than others.

However, I anyway decided to use Linux only and to drop jobs where
standard technology is needed, but nobody can expect that everybody will
do the same. If everybody would do it, our societies would run into
serious issues ;). Even my decision isn't based on anything that has to
do with Linux ;), I'm just sick of working as an engineer, following
fashions I don't like and today prefer to do social work ... but I'm
jobless now, so t doesn't work that good ;).

Yes, when IBM dropped OS/2 I had to find another means of subsistence. :) At that time, there were basically a couple of choices - web services or the dark side, so I chose web services. Been doing that for quite a while, not. This call was a complete surprise to me - I thought I was the last one using OS/2 (at least until the bearings on the hard disk dies a few months back). I've actually had a Linux VPS going for several years; I can't say I understand everything about running the server, but it works and is secure (heck - any trained monkey can follow directions!). I thought this would give me a chance to get further into Linux, but it just didn't work out.

IOW you don't need to explain your reasons for "ignoring" Linux, most on
this list are living in reality and not in Linux pony land ;).

I don't think most are living in "Linux pony land" - but from reading this list I think most people here are using it more for hobby/home use and not to make a living. Now there's nothing wrong with that - but there are additional restrictions placed on you when you have to show a profit. Those restrictions aren't there when you're not paying someone by the hour and can spend as much time as you care to playing with things. I know - that's how I'm learning Linux :)

Jerry