Re: apt autoremove

On Wed, 2013-08-21 at 22:24 +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> The Wednesday 21 August 2013 21:50:17, Verde Denim wrote :
> > Running updates this morning and got this -
> > The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> > required:
> >   dbconfig-common libapache2-mod-php5 libcurl3-gnutls:i386
> > libdirac-decoder0 libenet1a libgmp10:i386
> >   libirrlicht1.7a liblapack3gf libmcrypt4 libmpc2:i386 libmpfr4:i386
> > libonig2 libqdbm14 libxcb-xfixes0
> >   php5-cli php5-common php5-gd php5-mcrypt php5-mysql xulrunner-10.0
> > Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
> >
> > Anyone know the implications of removing these packages? I've been
> > looking them up and they seem to have a definitive purpose, so I'm not
> > sure that I want to just delete them from the system.
>
> Well, I don't want to start a fight, but try apt-get upgrade. If it stil wants
> to remove te packages, use aptitude why and why-not. Use man aptitude to see
> waht's doing on.
> Thierry

Assuming you run Jessie (Testing)?

In any case it seems you had php5 installed and removed it somewhere
along the line.
If you don't use php, you can safely remove all those packages, some of
the ones listed are replaced by updated versions (different name). If
you use php, I suggest you install the package 'php5', this will stop
the php related packages from being removed, otherwise these can be
removed.

Regards,
Steven