Re: CD checksums

On 08/18/13 10:18, Mike McClain wrote:
     I downloaded the 7.1.0 net install CD last night but spent over
half an hour trying to find the checksum on Debian's website.
     Though I finally found it at
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.1.0/i386/iso-cd/MD5SUMS

I'd like to suggest that a link show up on these pages:
http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
http://www.debian.org/CD/verify.en.html
http://search.debian.org/cgi-bin/omega?P=cd+checksum

If I open Iceweasel and browse to:

    http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

I see a web page that offers links to Debian ISO images. If I ctrl+click the on the non-bittorrent link for the ISO I want (netinst amd64, for example), my browser opens a new tab with this URL:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.1.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-7.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso

The key is to ctrl+click so that a new tab with the above URL is opened.

I can then cancel out of the open/save dialog dialog, and the above browser tab remains open (blank).

Understanding that web servers traditionally map URL's onto file systems, I can remove the file name portion of the above URL "debian-7.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso" and browse just the directory:

    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.1.0/amd64/iso-cd/

The Debian team has helpfully configured their web server to generate an index of the files in that directory. I can now bookmark that directory and download the files I want (CD ISO images, checksums, and checksum signatures).

Taking this idea further, it is interesting to browse upwards in the document tree:

    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.1.0/amd64/

    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.1.0/

    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/

    http://www.debian.org/