top menu and icon bar gets glued to mouse ponter in xfce..

I'm using xfce on jessie.

It's convenient that I can get the top icon bar to minimize until the
mouse pointer reached it; I have a small screen.  It's occasionally
convenient to be able to left-click on the little handle at the left and
move it elsewhere by moving the pointer while holding the left button
down.

But every now and then I move the mouse onto the top strip, and it
expands, and whatever I do with my mouse afterward, the top bar follows
my mouse around.  It's as if I have my left mouse button held don
permanently.

I'm using a physical  mouse here, but my laptop also has a touchpad which
I usually don't use unless I've left my mouse behind somewhere.

I can sometimes move the mouse away from the top bar *really fast* and
the bar is unable to keep up, and gets left behind somewhere partway down
the screen (whereupon it immediately minimizes to a small bloc on the
left edge).  Moving my mouse back, without pressing buttons, and it
expands and glues itself onto the mouse again.

Anyone know a way to get it to top stalking the mouse pointer?

-- hendrik