Re: UPS monitoring with nut

>> A bit of information regarding the setup I'm after:
>> One Wheezy server connected to UPS via usb (master)
>> One Wheezy server connected to the first server via ethernet (slave)
>> Both servers being supplied power by the UPS
>
> That's a common situation. On the master you'd want something like:
>   nut.conf:
>     MODE=netmaster
>         [your-ups]
>           driver = foo
>           port   = auto (probably, see the driver documentation for more
>                     options)
>   upsd.conf:
>     LISTEN = 127.0.0.1
>         LISTEN = ::1
>         LISTEN = A.LAN.IP
>   upsmon.conf:
>     MONITOR your-ups@your-host 1 ... (set up a user in upsd.users)
>
> And on the slave:
>   nut.conf:
>     MODE=netclient
>   upsmon.conf:
>     MONITOR your-ups@your-host 1 ... (IOW, the same as on master)

Thanks Darac. I've got a few questions:
1) What do you mean by `A.LAN.IP`? Is that some sort of keyword?
2) I see you've set MONITOR on the slave to the same value as that of
the master. Could you explain how exactly this directive is used
(since I can't find a reasonable explanation of it in the docs
anywhere). Am I right in assuming that it specifies which ups you want
to monitor?....since you might want to monitor multiple UPSs.
3) The documentation also suggests a syntax for the MONITOR statement
which requires a username, a password and a master/slave flag. I've
set the user on the master to be a domain user. Since this user is
accessible on the slave as well, can the MONITOR statement on the
slave use the same user?

> I have found that the config files for NUT are well commented and just
> editing every file in /etc/nut should get you most of the way there.
> However, if you want to do some reading first, there's the "nut-doc"
> package which will put a whole load of files into
> /usr/share/doc/nut-doc. If you find that THAT is out of date, then file
> a bug report.

I will have a look at the nut-doc files and see if they help. Thank
you for that.