Re: How to use the debian installation iso for installing packages using aptitude

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 18:03:49 +0530
Anubhav Yadav <anubhav1691@gmail.com> wrote:

> I added the following line to my etc/fstab file
>
> /home/neo1691/dvd1-mountpoint /media/apt1 iso9660 rw,user,noauto 0        0

This is wrong, IMO. Should be something like (see fstab(5)):

path_to_iso /media/apt1 iso9660 loop,ro,user,noauto 0 0

or

/home/neo1691/dvd1-mountpoint /media/apt1 none bind,ro,user,noauto 0 0

Last one assumes you want to mount an iso manually
to /home/neo1691/dvd1-mountpoint before using apt.

Both examples assume that '/media/apt1' is the directory, not a symlink.

> And my first line in /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.1.0 _Wheezy_ - Official amd64 DVD #Binary-1
> 20130615-23:06]/ wheezy contrib main
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.1.0 _Wheezy_ - Official amd64 DVD #Binary-1
> 20130615-23:06]/ wheezy contrib main

Seems ok to me.

> But now if I run say for example apt-get install xchat
>
> This time it never ask me to insert the cd rom it will search the mirrors.
>
> I guess I am close to achieving what I want.

Did you run 'apt-get update' or 'aptitude update'?

Also, if you really want apt not to use public Debian mirrors, you
should comment out anything not related to 'deb cdrom' in sources.list.

PS OOPS. Resending to the list.