Re: icedove configuration problem

Le 11/08/2013 11:48, "Karl E. Jørgensen" a écrit :
> Hi
>
> On 11/08/13 10:22, François Patte wrote:

> Bonjour,
>

> It fails! For 2 reasons:
>
> 1- I presume that icedove check if my email address is a "valid"
> address (and it is, I use it since almost 20 years at Paris
> Descartes University) in some data bases. As it seems to fail to find
> it, It reject it.... (even using "manual" configuration).
>> This is somewhat vague... What error do you get? which which
>> configuration?

"Icedove failed to find the settings for your email account"

> 2- I use to use an ssh tunnel to link some port (>1048) of my machine
> to the smtp port of the mail server at the university. Icedove allows
> to only use ports 25, 587 and 465....
>> It *will* try to auto-detect the settings for your email address,
>> but if you need an SSH tunnel to send email, you should not be
>> surprised that auto-detection fails...

This is not what I have said! I am not totally dumb: I mean that
allowing to use only ports 25, 587 and 465, Icedove, de facto, forbides
me to choose, say, localhost port 10025

I wonder why we don't have permission to have a fancy mail address with
a fancy configuration.... this however not the case for mine: I using it
right now on my laptop, ans it works!

So! How to fool this kind of default "programming" to setup an email
account on icedove supposed to be helpfull!

> What shall I do? Change my email address? Use mutt?
>> Give us some errors to work with. Some diagnostic information.
>> Anything.

I have nothing else: "Icedove failed to find the settings for your email
account"
and I am stuck, I can only click on 2 buttons: "get a new email" (gandi or
something likr this...) or "cancel"!

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique