Re: battery

On 08/08/13 12:46, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> On 08/08/13 09:29, Philip Ashmore wrote:
>> On 08/08/13 04:05, cletusjenkins wrote:
>>> I'm using wheezy and in gnome 3, if I disconnect my laptop from its
>>> charger and then at some point suspend. After bringing the system
>>> back up and connect the charger the battery charge indicator in
>>> gnome shows incorrect info.
>>>
>>> I plug in the charger and the battery charges, but it never reaches
>>> 100%, it stops at around usually in the 80's or 90's. The indicator
>>> shows the battery is charging no matter how long it is plugged in,
>>> but once the percentage stops increasing it will never go higher.
>>> This inaccuracy usually persists across reboots. I can shutdown,
>>> disconnect the charger, and remove the battery. The inaccuracy
>>> remains. At least once this process lead to a correct reading, but
>>> it hasn't worked recently. I'm not sure if this has gone on since I
>>> first got it or if this is a new thing. I noticed it about 3 months
>>> ago.
>>>
>>> This laptop is less than 6 months old, when disconnected from the
>>> charger the battery holds a charge for the same length it always
>>> has.
>>>
>>> Is there some file I can erase or some other procedure to reset the
>>> the indicator?
> [cut]
> I've noted similar behaviour in that I leave my machine connected to a
> mains supply after shut-down and the 80% charge seems to become a stable
> state, but after starting the system - Kubuntu in my case - the charge
> eventually reaches 100%, so it seems to be a function of the running/not
> running state of the m/c.
>
> Peter HB

...which means it's distro-specific.
Maybe one distro asks the battery controller some questions the other
doesn't and responds accordingly.

I think I remember seeing Ubuntu charging my battery to 100% too on a
dual boot machine with Debian.

According to

http://www.samsung.com/us/article/tips--tricks-extending-notebook-battery-life

it's called "Smart charging", so I guess it should have a config option
somewhere.

Philip