Re: Php5 question

David Guntner wrote:
> John W. Foster grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> >> PHP Deprecated:  Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/ming.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0
>
> Pretty much means what it says - the .ini file it's pointing to is using
> # as a comment, and it's giving you a warning that the use of the #
> character for a comment is now considered deprecated.  Edit the file in
> question and change the offending line to use // or ; to indicate a
> comment, and that message should go away.  Unless I'm getting myself
> confused with something else... :-)

Agreed.  And additionally I think this may indicate another problem.
The php5-cli package uses ucf and I think there may be a bug there.
After once installing the ini file it never tries to update it again.
I think that is bad.  Although it probably became that way due to
someone filing a bug report asking for it to be that way.  But it
means that if you previously installed php5-cli years and releases ago
that you will never get a newer copy of that file.  Even removing the
file and 'apt-get install --reinstall php5-cli' won't replace it.

This makes getting an updated version of that file much more
difficult.

By poking around it looks like the /etc/php5/cli/php.ini file is a
copy of /usr/share/php5/php.ini-production.  Therefore I suggest that
you copy your /etc/php5/cli/php.ini file off, replace it with
/usr/share/php5/php.ini-production, then merge in any local
customizations that you might desire.  I think it likely that you
haven't made any local customizations and can simply use the file
directly.

What do others think?  A bug to be filed?

Bob