Re: Should I build a nmu for stable or a backport for wheezy-backports?

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 08:17:03PM +0100, Rui Miguel P. Bernardo wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> let's say there is a bug in a stable package and that bug breaks the
> program functionality. Later the fix was uploaded to unstable/testing
> but never got in time for stable. For reference I'm talking about
> http://bugs.debian.org/679657.
>
> I tried 2 ways to solve this:
>
> a) I've downloaded the stable version of the package, applied the
> patch that fixed the problem and built a wheezy-backports package;

What you described  is the way we make stable updates.  I have done this
kind of things.

As you can see, it takes a bit more than usual efforts.

Is this something all stable user needs to be exposed?

> b) I've downloaded the maintainers git repository (unstable), revert
> some commits and build a wheezy-backports;

Usually, backport is simply recompiled version of "testing" package on
stable platform (with only dpkg/debheler updated to backport).

> Backports exists for recent packages from unstable/testing that were
> adapted and rebuilt for stable. What I did in a) is not that: I have
> rebuilt a stable package and applied a patch.

If you are doing it only for you, do it anyway.

> If a) is not a backport is it a nmu then? Should I build a) as a
> stable nmu and try to search for a sponsor to upload it to stable? Can
> this be done?

This is not A or B question.  2 different criteria.

> Or, to have a valid backport of the package, I MUST make b), which is
> to backport the testing/unstable package?

testing.  Please read backport docs.

> What I'd like is to have the stable version of the package fixed in
> debian stable, where it is not working, not to have an upgraded
> package from backports.

Please read Debian policy on stable update.  You also need to cordinate
with the maintainer.  You asking here indicate you have lots to learn.

> I hope this email is not to confusing as my doubts :) I'd like to have
> my doubts cleared because there is at least one more package
> (avelsieve) I'd like to upload, via nmu or backports, depending on the
> answers to my doubts.

Good luck.

Osamu