xfce terminal first-time unusable.

Starting a few months ago, on my wheezy systems (all of them) the colours
of the normal shell window have changed to unusable -- black foreground
on black background.

It's easy enough to fix, by editing preferences, but I really wonder
what's going on.

It happens anew with each user, the first time s/he tries to use this
terminal.  So I edit preferences again for each user on each machine.
Once edited (by telling it not to use system defaults) it stays working
properly.

But I can't imagine a developer deliberately choosing such a ridiculous
colour scheme, so something must be wrong.

-- hendrik