Re: Problems with installing HP LaserJet M1005 usb printer on debian clients on a network

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 12:54 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon 29 Jul 2013 at 20:59:39 +0530, Arvind wrote:
                [..snip..]
>> Details:
>> I will begin with describing how I got it working on the print server
>> (i.e. the machine to which the printer is connected on a usb port). I
>> installed hplip using aptitude and then used 'hp-setup -i'. It asked
>> about the mode of connection, on selecting 'usb', it found the
>> attached printer right away, downloaded the proprietary plugin from
>> the internet, asked if I accepted the license, installed the plugin on
>> selecting 'yes', and then generated a ppd file in a few more steps.
>> Done! The printer works as it is supposed to.
>
> Neatly done. Now from 'Administration' in the web interface tick
>
>    Share printers connected to this system
>
> Check that you have 'Shared Yes' in /etc/cups/printers.conf.
>
> With these settings the server will be advertising the print queue for
> the LaserJet M1005 for other machines to use.
>
>> On any client machine on the network, the above procedure doesn't
>> work. If I select 'network' as the mode of connection, hp-setup cannot
>> find the printer. I am not able to find any way of telling hp-setup to
>> look for a printer connected through usb to another machine on the
>> network. Using "hp-setp -i ip_address_of_print_server" doesn't work
>> either.
>
> You client machine has CUPS installed? This technique is incorrect.
>
> Check that there is a tick for
>
>    Show printers shared by other systems
>
> Look under the 'Printers' tab of the web interface or execute
>
>    lpstat -a
>
> to see what queues the client is aware of.
                [..snip..]
> You only need the hp software installed on the server.

Thanks a lot, Brian. It worked perfectly - stupid of me to have tried
installing it like a network printer. Just for the record, having
hplip and dependencies on the client somehow prevents it from working
(didn't have the energy to investigate how or why), so if installed,
one has to purge them.

Regards,
arvind

ps: Wonder if it is appropriate to add the status "[Solved]" to the
subject line - would be helpful for someone searching online and for
subscribers using mutt etc., but would break the thread in web
interface of gmail.