Monitor network download speed

Any recommendations for a graphical tool to monitor, real-time,
the download network speed.  My connection to work frequently
gets really slow, in which case I need to disconnect and reconnect.
I currently use the gnome network monitor tool, however, its
display of Network History connection speed is buggy.  Right now,
the vertical axis labels are:

00.0 KiB/s
20.0 KiB/s
40.0 KiB/s
60.0 KiB/s
80.0 KiB/s
00.0 KiB/s

The fastest is supposed to be on the top, but what speed is it?
I have no idea.  This happens all the time.  Other times I see
all labels being 0.00 KiB/s.  Even when the labeling is correct,
the scaling is usually bad, so the entire graph extends to all
1/5 the height.

There must be a better application.

--
Joe Riel